Quinoa can be used as an alternative to rice, and is cooked in a very similar way.
How to cook
- Measure out one cupful of quinoa grain per person and rinse in lukewarm water ensuring that the quinoa is clean.
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan with a lid.
- Pour boiling water over the quinoa: enough to cover the quinoa plus 2 centimetres.
- Place the lid on the pan and simmer gently until the water is no longer visible.
- Turn the heat right down and allow the quinoa to steam in the remainder of the water for 5-10 minutes. The quinoa puffs up like rice would do and becomes fluffy.
Quinoa makes an excellent accompaniment to curry dishes, stir fries and even salad. It can also be used instead of couscous, as the grains are a similar size to the little couscous balls. Of course, quinoa is gluten-free, so can be seen as a gluten-free couscous, as well as an alternative to rice.
Organic Quinoa Grain