Results are processed using our UK Laboratory.
What is Candida?
Candida is a yeast-like fungus that is normally present on the skin and in mucous membranes such as the vagina, mouth, or rectum. It is also a normal inhabitant of the human gut. However, when a person becomes dysbiotic, Candida can morph to become a pathogenic (injurious) invasive fungus and give rise to Candidiasis which is caused by over growth of Candida, predominantly Candida albicans. Candida is a yeast that in health does not cause a problem. If you are run down for any reason it may become established and can take hold and make you feel unwell.
Symptoms of Candida can include:
Causes of Candidiasis
Anything that may disturb the normal balance of yeast and bacteria or the pH levels in the digestive or vaginal tracts can create ideal conditions for the overgrowth of yeasts. Normal balance can be disrupted by many factors: -
• Hormonal changes during pregnancy •
The combined oral contraceptive pill •
Steroid drugs (e.g. for asthma treatments)
• Antibiotics - these kill off the good bacteria making it easier for yeasts to grow
• Diabetes - the increased levels of sugar encourage the yeasts to proliferate • Endocrine imbalances - low thyroid and adrenal function, perhaps as a result of stress and blood sugar imbalances, can support the growth of candida.
• A diet high in sugar and low in protein - yeasts and bad bacteria thrive on sugar and refined, simple carbohydrates
• Anaemia and lack of iron - these can reduce resistance to infection
• Other deficiencies - lack of zinc, vitamin B and vitamin A have all been documented as reducing resistance to infection and leading to yeast overgrowth.
• Long illness and periods of stress - the immune system may not function properly during these times and susceptibility to infections like candidiasis increases
Candida is not the only condition to cause these symptoms but if you suffer from a number of the above then Candida may be the reason or part of the reason.
Please see below an example test result and view of how results are detailed.
We can test for a range of different allergies and health markers, using one of our home-testing kits. In this kit, you'll be able to test:
The most abundant type of antibody, IgG is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections.
Found in high concentrations in the mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears.
Found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid. It is made by the body to fight new infections.
Once you've got your kit, make sure to read all of the enclosed instructions - they'll make sure you easily and safely get the best sample possible.
Time to take your sample. All of our health tests come with the exact tools you need to take a sample in the comfort of your own home.
Put your sample in the prepaid envelope provided and pop it in the post. Now you can sit back and relax - we'll let you know when your results are ready.